Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Today is a rather thoughtful day for me. My dad, who if he was still here, would have turned 67 today. Of course I miss him terribly, but I wish that my boys could have known him, and have him be a part of their lives. Since I only had a sister growing up, I would like to think that my dad would have had a wonderful time with my guys.
Dad was always very strict while I was growing up, and my mom was the proverbial marshmallow. If you wanted to do something, I always knew not to ask dad. We were taught manners, and how to behave in public. I personally think that is in short supply these days, if what I see in public is any indication. Were one of us to throw a screaming shit fit in public, there would have been hell to pay, and not another chance to go out again for quite some time.
Always a hard worker, dad had many things that he had going at any given time. He had 4 gardens every summer, growing everything from cukes, tomatoes and squash, to potatoes, onions, lettuce, beets, and everything in between. He was very mechanically inclined, and did his own car repairs, repairs on lawn equipment and anything else that had an engine. I was taught that you had to work for the things that you want and need, and not wait for it to be handed to you. (another thing in short supply these days)
This is a tribute to my dad who I loved dearly and miss daily. He was a good dad, and great role model. If you are out there somewhere dad, Happy Birthday, I love you always.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home