Monday, January 08, 2007

Winter in Maine, what can I say? The first time I ever set foot in this state was Thanksgiving in the mid 70's. Growing up in Virginia, we rarely had any snow that hung around, so we didn't do alot of sledding or ice skating. I lived on a dirt road and there were a few kids around that used to get together whenever mother nature saw fit to grace us with some snow that hung around long enough to haul out the sleds and wax up the runners. A small snowfall always meant a day off from school and it was an occasion to celebrate!
I moved up here with my mother, sister and stepfather(stepasshole, but that is another story). I, needless to say, had never seen sooooo much snow on the ground in all my life combined! I wondered how people could stand it for what seemed like 6 months out of the year. It took me many, many years to come to terms that if you live here, suck it up and keep moving. I am perpetually cold, my thermostat is set for tropical climes, umbrella drinks and hunky cabana boys. It has been tough for me to deal with the cold for such long periods of time.
This winter has been different from winters in the past. For one thing, until today, we have no snow on the ground. We have had very few days in the neighborhood of freezing. Saturday, we had some rain, but the temps have been up in the 50's or higher in many places. In my world, you couldn't ask for anything better. No snow, no long lasting mud season and not having to drive with idiots in four wheel drive vehicles that think they are invincible because of what they drive. I have a big ass truck with four wheel drive, but to this day, driving in the snow still terrifies me.
Anyway, yesterday, our campground group, which has grown to 5 couples, got together at the campground and had a fire and lunch. While the sun was out, and the fire was blazing, it was pleasant enough, but once the sun went down, it was time to pack up and head home. We had a great afternoon with lots of laughs and cocktails and reconnecting with people we don't see on a weekly basis right now. I truly think we have something rare, a group of people who enjoy each other's company so much that we have to see each other regularly. My life would truly be vacant if we ever had to give up our friends.
Things are progressing on the new house, not nearly fast enough for us, but wheels move slowly when it comes to banks. We are hoping to close at the end of the month and begin moving. I am both excited and dreading the work. We have lots of plans for decorating and such when we get there. I can hardly wait.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sheri said...

Gary & I were saying what fun we had! And we sure hope Marc doesn't throw our asses out for mucking up the road!

See you soon.

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home