Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Today I just had to write about something that has been bothering me for a couple of days. I watched an episode of Dr. Phil (yeah, I know). Anyway, there were twin teenage girls who became addicted to drugs, namely heroin and crack and a smorgasbord of anything they could lay hands on. The usual story ensued about how they left home, were living on the streets, prostituting for drug money, the whole nine yards. I will spare the descriptions of the girls, I'm sure that you have the picture.
The part of the show that pissed me off is when he talked to the mother of the girls and it was the poor me show and claimed there was "nothing she could do"
That is the biggest load of bullshit I have ever heard. She admits to the doctor that she experimented with drugs and alcohol at the age of 13, and thought it was normal. Apparently her normal and my normal are different. She also admitted that she KNEW that they were doing drugs and alcohol. Her defense, and I use that term LOOSELY that she is a single parent, what was she supposed to do???
WTF!!!
Being involved in a childs life for starters. Knowing their friends, where they hang out. Having curfews (dirty word for most teenagers). SAYING NO, is a huge start. I made a commitment when I became a parent to bring my children up to be good people. I won't say that it was difficult at times, but we stayed the course, even though we were very unpopular parents more often than not. I knew my kids' friends and most of the parents. There were power wars for many years, and it was tough to do what we thought was the right thing to do.
The point to all this rambling on is that she was not called to the carpet and held accountable for the path her daughters took. I know that all kids are not going to follow the straight and narrow, but more of them would if only the parents cared enough to be involved. There are two words that I think are missing in this society. Responsibility and accountability. All kids make mistakes, but teach them to own up to what they have done and move on. Lesson learned. By no means are these words missing only from the vocabularies of teenagers. Many adults refuse to accept responsibility for their actions. It's always easier to blame someone else. It truly makes me sick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home